Chronicles of an Incurable Collector: My Anatole Vely Vanity Set

My Jane Austen blog is different from many others in that I write about much more than just JAFF/Austenesque fiction. As such, posts titled, "Chronicles of an Incurable Collector" will be a regular feature. Last time, I wrote about my $25 Facebook Marketplace 18th century oil painting. I'd now like to share another recently acquired treasure. In April, I purchased a set of antique vanity pieces consisting of an ornate ormolu hand mirror and box. I acquired the set for only $60. I consider that a steal considering the box alone had an antique store price tag of $600. 

This picture shows how I found this set when I attended the preview prior to the actual auction. Upon inspection, I determined the set was not in perfect condition due to a mildly chipped mirror inside the box, verdigris on the mirror's handle, and some distortion in the miniature portraits. Unlike some I found online, however, the glass inserts covering the robins egg blue guilloche enamel panels are in good condition. The pieces are quite heavy, and I do not believe one would be able to find pieces of similar quality produced today. I'm still looking for an advantageous way to display them.

I did not realize that the pieces were signed by the artist until I brought them home. The picture to the left clearly shows the name Vely. I took to our dear friend Google in hopes of finding something about the artist. Given that these pieces were likely made as souvenirs for purchase by wealthy people touring the continent, I did not hold out much hope. Boy, I was wrong! The artist, Anatole Vely, has quite an footprint on the internet, and the signature on my pieces match exactly! 

Mr. Vely was a French artist who lived from 1838 until 1882. Based on these dates, my pieces are definitely not regency period but, rather mid-Victorian era. The ladies, however, are definitely in a 1700s style. I cannot help but think that a vanity set like this may have been purchased by Darcy and Elizabeth's youngest son or grandson for his betrothed! My research of similar pieces indicates the portraits are likely watercolor on ivory.

As for the artist, I encourage you to Google him in order to see the beautiful paintings he created! He was a rather prolific artist. Many of his paintings can be found here. My favorite is titled, "La Meditation" (see below). I love the subject's saucy, provocative, "don't mess with me" vibe. Her dress reminds me of a renaissance costume that the Maria Bertram might have worn in Mansfield Park while preparing for their scandalous play. 

As for that painting, records show that "La Meditation" is Vely's highest selling work to date, and I can see why. In 2010, it sold for $41,540 USD at Sotheby's in London. Wow! It excites me that he same hands that painted this masterpiece also created my pieces! 

There is just something I love about holding objects in my hand that are well over 100 years old and display master, old-world craftsmanship. This is specially so when the subject matter is consistent with what might have been displayed or used at Pemberley. One can dream, right?

I wish I would have found a complete set that included other coordinating objects such as a comb, hairbrush, tray, or hair collector--not that I'm truly complaining. Maybe I'll find those pieces one of these days along my collecting journey! Regardless, I believe these items are beautiful heirlooms that I can pass down to my children and grandchildren. Hopefully, they will appreciate them and grow to be incurable collectors like myself!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 2: A Personal Review of The Mistress of All

An Enthusiastic Review of L.M. Romano's' Debut Novel, Forgotten Betrothal + Giveaway

A Review of Susan Adriani's "Misunderstandings & Ardent Love" + Giveaway