Chronicles of an Incurable Collector: My 19th Century Painting

I am an incurable collector, and I just have an eye for antiques. It's not unusual for me to come across amazing rare and valuable items for pennies on the dollar at local flea markets, yard sales, auctions (online and in-person), and even on Facebook Marketplace. I cannot count how many times I have purchased an item for a dollar or two that end up being worth much, much more. 

From the time I was very young, my parents took me to local in-person auctions. My paternal grandfather even dabbled in the auction business. I love holding a bid card and fighting for items that call out, "buy me!" Just know that I will frequently write about treasures I come across. Presently, I want to share an oil painting I picked up on the Facebook Marketplace this summer for only $25. 

I'll admit that this little diamond in the rough shows it age. The plaster frame has many chips, and the painting itself has a large gash near the chandelier and tiny flecks of paint missing throughout. Although the condition leaves something to be desired, it is no less beautiful. The details are amazing, and the perspective is complex including angled architectural moldings and the room's reflection in the mirror.

After purchasing the painting, I took to the internet in an attempt to determine its origin and age. My research indicated that this type of work is referred to as a "salon paining" which makes sense given that the subjects are spending time in a grand salon. These paintings, often depicting scenes from the century prior, were common during the 19th century. These paintings were created all over Europe, but most of the examples I found on the internet were painted in France or Austria. I believe this painting is French due to the artist's signature. I believe is reads "C. Furaud." I searched for this name and nearly every other possible variation I could think of (including names starting with the letter "E") to no avail. I even took it to a local art dealer/appraiser to see if he could find more information on it. He was also unable to find anything about the artist.

Although the appraiser was unable to find any record of an artist with a similar signature, he was able to provide some pertinent information. First, he agreed that the painting is very old and likely dates to the middle of the 19th century. He said that it was probably purchased as a souvenir. He also believes the signature is French. Because it was painted by a heretofore unknown artist and has significant damage, he opined that it has no great resale value, and the cost to clean and restore it would likely top $1000. As such, he suggested that I hang it on the wall as is and enjoy it, and that is exactly what I've chosen to do.

Although it is not particularly valuable, I would buy every painting like this I could find! The details are exquisite down to the shading of the dress fabric and the fine details of the rugs and wall murals. The young ladies are obviously very wealthy. When thinking of it through the lens of Jane Austen's universe, I imagine the painting depicts young versions of Anne (Fitzwilliam) Darcy (seated) and Lady Catherine (Fitzwilliam) de Bourgh (standing). 

Although damaged, this painting is perfect to me! Its condition only proves that it has been on quite an adventure over its 150+ year existence. I wonder how it made its way to Central Kentucky, USA? Do you have any similar treasures? What stories do they tell? 

I will conclude this post by sharing one more picture of the painting to further demonstrate its age. I love watching television programs like the Antiques Roadshow in which the resident art experts often examine the back side of paintings before anything else. They state the construction of the canvas frames often tells more about a painting's age than anything else. Consistent with this practice, I believe the reverse side of this paining supports the appraiser's conclusion that it dates to the 19th century.

I love the thought of owning and being able to touch a work of art that someone spent hours upon hours creating only to have it purchased and later brought across the Atlantic to ultimately reside in my bedroom.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part 2: A Personal Review of The Mistress of All

An Enthusiastic Review of L.M. Romano's' Debut Novel, Forgotten Betrothal + Giveaway

A Review of Susan Adriani's "Misunderstandings & Ardent Love" + Giveaway