Alix James' A Fine Mind Explores the Challenges of Neurodiversity in the Regency Era

I am excited to provide a preview of Alix James' newest novella, A Fine Mind. It will be available on Amazon via Kindle Unlimited and for purchase tomorrow (Thursday, January 28). Alix James is the pen name under which JAFF Rockstar Nicole Clarkston publishes her novella length stories. I have read nearly all of Nicole's full-length novels and have them in both eBook and Audiobook. I have only recently started to read her shorter Alix James offerings.  A Fine Mind offers a compelling glimpse into the challenges of living with an exceptional, though neuro-atypical, mind in an era and culture in which there was little knowledge, curiosity, tolerance, or acceptance of differences. Weeks in advance of the book's release, Nicole sought input from readers with personal experience and/or professional expertise in Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). As a fan who fit the bill on both fronts, I volunteered to read it and give my two cents. I had not originally planned to write a blog post about it, but offered to because I really enjoyed the story and its balance of  both seriousness and light-heartedness. I love the depiction of Darcy in this book; particularly his sincere desire to nurture and protect Georgiana which far outweighed considerations of family reputation and consequence. 

As I mentioned in my introductory post when I launched the Jane Austen State of Mind blog back in October 2020, I have worked as a school psychologist for 15 years. In that role, I have assessed students to determine whether they meet the diagnostic criteria for ASD, and I have provided support services including explicit social skills instruction and counseling. I have also worked with students of both sexes who fall at various points along the spectrum, both higher and lower functioning. I also have a first degree relative who is very high functioning (what was formerly known as Asperger Syndrome) who is brilliant in his own way. Upon finishing this novella, I have no reservations, on the basis of sensitivity or respect to persons with ASD, in recommending it. 

I do not know who to attribute it to, but there is a saying that if you know a person with autism, you know one person with autism. That is to say, ASD is not a cookie cutter, clear-cut label. Each person with autism is different. What ties individuals with ASD together is some degree of difficulty with social interaction, communication, and restricted or repetitive patterns of thought and behavior. In this, I found Nicole's portrayal of Georgiana to be realistic and imminently respectful. Her gifts and unfiltered, raw sensibilities were on display and appreciated by those whose opinions we as JAFF readers most respect, namely, Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet. 
In writing reviews, I strive not to give any spoilers. One of my favorite ways to share my thoughts on a book I'm reviewing is to post a particularly memorable, yet brief, line or passage that speaks to me or that sums up my thoughts on the work. For A Fine Mind, I chose a short snippet of dialogue between Elizabeth and her Aunt Gardiner... 

Lizzy: "Aunt," Elizabeth asked, "do you...what do you make of Miss Darcy?

Mrs. G: "Oh, she is a remarkable girl."

Lizzy: "But 'remarkable' is merely a term to mean 'different' in some way. What do you think of her?"

Mrs. Gardiner sighed and bestowed a sad smile on Elizabeth. "I think it is beautiful when people like Miss Darcy are given to the world, and more lovely still when those closest to them have eyes to see and hearts to hear."
If my review piques your interest, the book blurb might draw you in even more:

"Georgiana Darcy see the world differently. Gifted with a sensitive soul and a mind that feels what others miss, she is the misfit in an aristocratic family. She's also the reason her brother, Fitzwilliam Darcy, lets few people into his heart.

Teaching her, guiding her, and pushing away those who would not understand her, Darcy has done all in his power to protect his sister. Is it enough? If he cannot convince his uncle, the earl, that Georgiana's place is with him, he is in danger of losing her forever.

Darcy's worst nightmare comes true when  Georgiana stumbles--quite literally--into a guest at Pemberley. But when that guest turns out to be Elizabeth Bennet, the only woman in the world he ever dreamed of having by his side, Darcy learns to hope that there may still be a way to have everything.

Can he persuade Elizabeth to give him another chance? Will they find a family and a love that endures all, hopes all, and never fails?"
I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog and hope you will return for new posts. I have some great ones coming up including a review of Heather Moll's new release, "9 Ladies" and Christina Morland's epic "The Year In Between: A Sense and Sensibility Variation." I'm loving them already! They're both lengthy reads, so I'd better get back to it!





Comments

  1. You sold me Paige! This will be my next book. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you thought so! I just reread it and saw a ton of mistakes (eek!). They're fixed now. That's what I get for writing late at night and not having the husband read over it before I hit "post." As a psych, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on her depiction of ASD.

      Delete
  2. What a great review, Paige! And thanks especially for sharing your thoughts and experiences working with students on the ASD.

    This sounds like a wonderful book, and though I haven't read anything yet by Alix James, I've loved reading Nicole Clarkston's work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina! Working with exceptional children is never dull but always rewarding! I'm going to need to read some Alix James after your wonderful, though lengthy, work! I'm so glad JAFF comes in so many forms! I'm 18% through TYIB and still loving it! Gina has assured me the best is yet to come :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Part 2: A Personal Review of The Mistress of All

An Enthusiastic Review of L.M. Romano's' Debut Novel, Forgotten Betrothal + Giveaway

A Review of Susan Adriani's "Misunderstandings & Ardent Love" + Giveaway